General Assistance Utility Assistance program assists Bloom Township residents by offsetting the rising cost of home energy through direct financial assistance, energy counseling, and outreach. Utility Assistance provides financial assistance with the cost associated with gas, light or water bills. The assistance is based on income, household size, residency and amount of bill and all monies are paid directly to the utility service provider.
Bloom Township residents who seek to apply for Utility Assistance must provide the following to be eligible. Documents include:
- State/Federal issued Identification: (ID card or driver’s license with matching address)
- Social Security cards for the entire household.
- Proof of Income: proof of all household income for the past 30 days.
- Proof of Residency: lease/mortgage statement.
- Utility Bill: ComEd, Nicor Gas, or local water bill.
- Clients must provide current utility bills not more than 30 days old, the bill must be under $500 and in service at the time of application.
Utility Assistance programs have a start date each session and will run until all funds are exhausted. Residents are allowed to apply once every 18 months. Residents who qualify for Bloom Township Utility Assistance program are encouraged to apply for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or other utility share programs.