- General Assistance
- General Assistance Program
General Assistance Program
General Assistance is a locally administered program mandated by the State of Illinois, which assists those persons who are not eligible for any other state of federally funded program. General Assistance (GA) helps Bloom Township residents who do not have income or resources to meet their basic needs. Bloom Township works with various vendors and community organizations to assist individuals with becoming self-sufficient.
Bloom Township General Assistance is a “Flat Grant” program with developed written criteria as the program standards. To be eligible for Bloom Township General Assistance program, each applicant must meet financial, non-financial and workfare assigned requirements.
Workfare Assignments - A program in which general assistance recipients receive benefits by performing work for taxing districts or non-profits. Recipients are not paid but receive credit for hours worked based on the federal minimum wage level. Recipients may be required to work the number of hours necessary each month to offset their grants.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be a resident of Bloom Township.
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Must be actively seeking employment.
How to Apply
Applications for (General Assistance) are available at Bloom Township Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. To become eligible, applicants must present the following documents.
- Federal or State Issued identification
- Social Security Card(s)/ Birth Certificate
- Proof of income for past 30 days.
- Proof of residency in Bloom Township for past 30 days.
- Disabled or applicants unable to work must present SSI documents.
- Registration for Job Service at Illinois Department of Employment Security
Applications must be completed, signed and returned within 30 days after issue date.
- Applicants currently receiving or having exhausted TANF benefits are ineligible.
- Applicants who have been denied TANF or unemployment due to fraud or non-compliance.
- Applicants living at public or private institution are ineligible.
- Applicants with income that is greater than amount of grant.
- Individuals receiving subsidized, Section 8 or government sponsored rental assistance are ineligible for rental assistance.
General Assistance programs, unlike some of Bloom Township programs have guidelines mandated by the State of Illinois. As every case and individual are different, eligibility can only be determined at the time of application or interview.
Assistance & Grants
There are two kinds of grants, “Flat grants and Need Allowance.” Bloom Township administers the flat grant program whereas all funds are disbursed using the “voucher system” for payments. Payments are disbursed directly to vendors and homeowners, no cash awards are given to any clients. Once eligibility is established the grant may be applied towards:
- Food (Link applications are recommended)
- HSPI household products and/or personal items for home and individual)
- Rent (as requested by homeowner/landlord)
- Utilities (Comed, Nicor or local water bill)
Services Provided to Clients
- Computer lab for online applications.
- Referral Services
- Resume/Cover Letter